27 May 2009

MP offers £100 To Name MEPs.

Tory MP for Shrewsbury & Atcham, Daniel Kawczynski is offering £100 to any constituent who names 2 or more of the MEPs in their region - the West Midlands. On Monday he stated on Radio 4's The World Tonight, that he has not had to pay out a penny in 4 years!

His point being (I assume) that PR elections are bad for the 'constituency link'. He is (along with Labour's Jim Murphy (safe Labour seat in Scotland) a founder of the first-past-the-post supporters group in parliament.

But what does this prove when most constituents cannot name their MP or any of their councillors (elected under first-past-the-post), so it is hardly surprising they also cannot name 2 or more of their MEPs.

Off the top of my head I can name 4 of my MEPs here in the South East - Daniel Hannan (Tory), Caroline Lucas (Green), Peter Skinner (Labour) and Nigel Farage (UKIP). Maybe I am lucky to have some quite high profile names down here.

I can also name my MP in Hove - Celia Barlow (Labour) and in Goldsmid Ward my councillors, Melanie Davis (Labour) and (I think) Paul? Lainchbury (Tory although he has never been in the ward or attended any council meetings) and somebody whose first name I forget - something Fallas-Khan (Tory).

Off the top of your head, how many can you name? (and please be honest!).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages