1. THE DAILY MAIL PROMOTING UNIVERSITIES OF CRIME: Unless you support locking up ALL prisoners for ever, it is too simplistic to rant about the crimes of those released from prison (also whether they are foreign or not is irrelevant).
Right wingers LOVE prison, they think it reduces crime. In the short term they may be right that increasing the number we lock up does reduce crime (we lock up more people than any other country in Europe) but in the long term it is also clear it INCREASES the crime rate UNLESS prisoners are rehabilitated before release. In most cases we know that people who go to prison come out even WORSE and are even MORE likely to re-offend. Prison sucks as a crime reduction tool and it is damn expensive to boot!
2. THE TORIES AND POVERTY REDUCTION. The Tories drastically CUT international aid and tripled UK poverty when in power. Labour have increased international aid and have cut poverty by a third. Do I need to say more?
3. CUTTING TAXES (i.e PUBLIC SERVICES) HELPS THE POOR. See point no. 2.
4. THAT SOMEHOW SPENDING MORE ON SOMETHING MAKES IT WORSE. What nonsense. Average waiting times in the NHS are now 9 WEEKS compared to 18 MONTHS under the Tories. How can more nurses, teachers and doctors be a bad thing?
5. LEGALISING HANDGUNS REDUCES CRIME. Believe it or not, some people seriously claim this. The truth is gun deaths in the UK have halved since the handgun ban. The rise in gun incidents is down to the use of less lethal LEGAL weapons such as replica guns. Increasing the availability of something obviously increases its use. The gun lobby should be honest and argue that the extra gun deaths resulting from legalisation are WORTH IT because of the enjoyment they get from playing with guns. Of course that argument wouldn't win them many converts!
I recently read FREAKONOMICS and they repeat a common myth used by the gun lobby; that "Switzerland proves that guns don't increase crime". They claim that Switzerland has just as many guns as the US and yet the crime rate is much lower, therefore guns can't be the problem. This is disingenuous for a number of reasons:
i) The US actually has 3 times the number of guns per head as Switzerland.
ii) They are not comparing like with like, most guns in the US are handguns, most guns in Switzerland are rifles. A concealed weapon is obviously more dangerous, try hiding a rifle down your pants!
iii) The US has much higher levels of inequality fueling the crime rates (and hence the criminal use of guns).
iv) Although it is true that gun deaths per capita are much lower in Switzerland than the US, Switzerland has FIVE times the number of per capita gun deaths than the UK where gun laws are more strict.