20 April 2006

£250,000 is a lot of money.

I don't think anyone truly deserves to earn this much a year. But when it comes to value for money I think a GP is better value for £1/4m a year than Chris Tarrant or David Beckham. But saying that, even these people are better value for money than Kenneth Clarke or other executives (in fact most executives would demand a pay rise) who earns that for a few days 'consultancy' helping British American Tobacco pollute the lungs of people in the third world.

Talking of overpriced things which cost lots of money, I today saw a presentation about the new flats being proposed for the Brighton Marina. I asked about how cheap a one bedroom flat would be for the 40% 'low cost housing' reserved for key workers. After much confusion and reluctance I found someone willing to tell me that it would be in the region of £250,000. Forgive me for being ignorant but wouldn't getting a mortgage for that sort of money involve having a salary in excess of £70k a year? Okay for GPs and dentists I suppose. Can someone tell me if there is some sort of extra assistance for key workers that I don't know about? Otherwise I don't understand how any key workers could afford to buy here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages